Burial of the Dead
The Prayer Book reminds us that "the very love we have for each other in Christ brings deep sorrow when we are parted by death."
For burial with Christ Church, consider the following:
- The death of a member of the Church should be reported as soon as possible to one of the clergy and arrangements for the funeral should be made in consultation with them.
- Baptized Christians are properly buried from the church. The service should be held at a time when the congregation has opportunity to be present.
- The coffin is to be closed before the service, and it remains closed thereafter. It is appropriate that it be covered with a pall or other suitable covering.
- If necessary, or if desired, all or part of the service of Committal may be said in the church. If preferred, the Committal service may take place before the service in the church. It may also be used prior to cremation.
- A priest normally presides at the service.
At Christ Church the clergy are prepared to engage in close consultation for the planning of funerals or memorial services. Please do not hesitate to contact the clergy at the news of the death of a loved one.
The Columbarium of the church, wherein the ashes of the dead, encased in urns, may be put as a final resting place, is located next to the church at the intersection of Sagamore Road and Kensington Road. Space is available in the Columbarium; please contact Gina Donegan for more information.